Enjoy great events in our downtown at: Appleton Public Library, The History Museum at the Castle, Downtown Appleton Farm Market, The Building for Kids Children’s Museum, Harmony Cafe – Fox Valley with Compassionate Fox Cities and Thompson Community Center.
Compassionate Fox Cities and The Building for Kids Children’s Museum are partnering with a number of downtown Appleton community organizations and attractions to offer a variety of activities in celebration of International Day of Happiness in the Fox Cities on Thursday, March 20.
Although the official designation for this special recognition of Happiness is for one day, many collaborating organizations are celebrating the “art of being happy” throughout the month of March.
Activities at The Building for Kids will be offered as a “Week of Happiness,” from March 16-23. Offerings include: creating “Happy Hometown Memory Tiles,” designing Happiness Journals, and building a Happiness Wall, all in the Da Vinci Art & Science Studio. Additionally, a special story hour and art project activity centering on the popular children’s book, Have You Filled Your Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids by Carol McCloud will be presented at 10:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 20 and at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 22.
All activities are included in the cost of regular admission to The Building for Kids. Happiness-related activities for collaborating organizations are as follows:
• Harmony Café will host a Compassionate Fox Cities “meet and greet” event from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. on March 20.
• The Appleton Public Library will team up with Compassionate Fox Cities to feature the movie, Happy, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. on March 13. Admission is free and refreshments will be served. Discussion will follow the screening. Additionally, the library will set-up a “Happy Hometown Memories Display” from March 3-31 in a first floor display case available for viewing during regular open hours. The display will highlight the hometown memories of local residents through tile artwork.
• The History Museum at the Castle will provide materials for interested individuals and families to create their own “Happy Hometown Memory Tile” from March 1-16 in the museum lobby. Completed memories will be displayed at the Appleton Public Library. Additionally, admission to the History Museum will be half price on March 20.
• The Thompson Community Center will offer a creative afternoon of sharing happy memories from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 12. Those choosing to participate will be able to create their own “Happy Hometown Memory Collage” for display at the Center. All supplies will be provided. Lemonade and cookies will be served and participants will also receive two Thompson Café coupons. Cost to participate is $4.00. To register, call, (920) 225-1700.
Additionally, a special “Grampa’s Grill Out” featuring grilled brats, burgers, chicken and side dishes will be served from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 20, with inside seating at the Thompson Community Center. For more information, including lunch cost, call (920) 225-1700.
• Appleton Downtown, Incorporated, will partner with Compassionate Fox Cities to offer a “Create a Happy Hometown Memory Tile” station from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 15 at the Downtown Appleton Indoor Winter Farm Market inside City Center Plaza. Completed tiles will be showcased in a display at the Appleton Public Library.